Skip to main content
Skip to main content.


Guardianship of the Person

When a child is living with an adult, who is not their parent, and the adult needs a Court order to make decisions for the child, the adult will need to file for a probate guardianship.

There are two types of guardianship (you can file for one or both):

  1. Person: To have custody of the child.
  2. Estate: Manage the child’s property.

NOTE: This section only includes forms and instructions to file for guardianship of the person. If you need to file for Guardianship of the Estate, please contact the Self-Help Center below.

Merced Los Banos


Room 1400

Office Hours
7:45 am - 12:00 pm
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Monday - Friday
Office Hours
8:30 am - 12:00 pm
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Mondays and Thursdays only
For more information, click on the following flyers:

English | Hmong | Spanish

Filling Out Your Forms

Click an Option Below for Information on How to Fill Out Your Forms:


Paper Form

You can download our current forms packet here:
Guardianship of the Person.
You can print out your forms, fill them out and then file them with the Court.



You can also fill out your forms online:

Step 1: Click on the following link: Online Form Preparation.
There is an instructional video on this page to help you with filling out your forms.

Step 2: Click on the link for ‘Guardianship’ under PROBATE. You will answer questions and at the end your forms will be prepared for you.  
You can then print them, sign them, and file them with the Court.

If you need to request a Fee Waiver, please find information and forms on our Fee Waiver page.

Self-Help Center

The Self-Help Center can help you fill out your forms and answer your questions regarding Restraining Orders. For information on how to get help, visit the Self-Help Center page.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.